PP155 Securing Your Electronic Appraisal Report
- Registration Closed
Tuesday, June 28, 2022
2:00pm - 3:00pm Eastern US
Technology has made it simpler and faster to deliver electronic appraisal reports to our clients. Have you considered the security of your report and your signature? Join ASA’s Sharlyne Tsai, Director of Information Technology, and Razvan Miutescu, partner at the law firm of Whiteford, Taylor and Preston, to discover potential security issues you need to address to protect the integrity of your work product. This webinar will help you identify potential security issues within your client delivery process and steps you can take to guard your reports from misuse.
All appraisers who prepare electronic reports.
General Webinar Information
Important login information will be e-mailed to registrants prior to the webinar.
To ensure the best ASA webinar experience, be sure to download the Zoom app on your device before the webinar begins.
Continuing Education (CE) Information
This webinar will award 1.0 CE hours.
If you are a designated member of the American Society of Appraisers, CE credit will automatically be entered into your record ONLY if you participate in the live webinar. Please allow approximately 2 weeks post-webinar for ASA to notify participants via email regarding a certificate of completion.
Protecting and Securing PDF reports
• Protecting vs Securing documents
• Using a password to protect the PDF document
• Printing PDFs
• Electronic file submission – distributing vs retrieving
• Securely share credentials
• Features and limitations of electronic transmissions – PDF size, internet speed
• Electronic signatures vs digital signatures
• Types of certificate signatures – self signed vs 3rd party signed
• Legal guidance on accepting a report with an electronic signature
• Protecting your signature
• Dangers of image signatures
• Encryption protections
Best Practices for securing files on your PC/external hard drive
• Securing your workfile (USPAP rules and hacking)
• Permission levels
• Password managers
• Password generators
Upon completion of this webinar, attendees will be able to:
- Apply discussed techniques to protect your electronic reports
- Recognize weaknesses in the security of your electronic reports
- Implement procedures to secure your electronic signature
- Review available platforms to sign and send your reports
Sharlyne Tsai, PMP
Director of IT
American Society of Appraisers
Sharlyne Tsai, PMP has been with ASA for over 10 years serving as the Director of IT overseeing telecommunications, information architecture, and IT strategy. She received her bachelor’s degree in Information Technology and Biochemistry from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and earned her Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification in 2016. She has over 20 years of experience working in the technology field and providing guidance, innovative solutions, and knowledge on technology including cybersecurity and data protection.
Whiteford, Taylor and Preston
Raz is a partner with the law firm of Whiteford, Taylor and Preston. He is an experienced technology and information governance attorney. He assists nonprofit and for-profit clients with digital transactions, privacy and data security, information technology transactions + licensing, distributed ledgers + blockchain, digital media + ecommerce, and related regulatory and compliance matters. He has been a co-chair of the Data Privacy, Cyber Security & Technology subcommittee of the Maryland State Bar Association since 2015.