ME180 Marine Asset Values in an Inflationary World of Disrupted Supply Chains
- Registration Closed
Wednesday, February 1, 2023
1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. Eastern
Marine asset values (tank and hopper barges, tugboats, etc. in the US market and also tankers, containership and dry bulk vessels in international market) are primarily driven by the state of the freight market. Post-COVID, the shipping markets have been strong, based on structural demand. Supply chain disruptions have further helped with higher rates, while newbuilding capacity has been limited. In an inflationary world of higher interest rates, values of capital / fixed assets have benefited further.
Appraising marine assets has become more challenging, due to these, generally exogenous, factors, while asset managers for leasing companies are on alert not to overpay for new deals.
Appraisers (MTS) and also Business Appraisers, asset managers, lenders, lessors, financiers, bankers, ASA candidates,
General Webinar Information
Important login information will be e-mailed to registrants prior to the webinar. In addition, this presentation will not be recorded or made available post-webinar for purchase via the ASA Marketplace
To ensure the best ASA webinar experience, be sure to download the Zoom app on your device before the webinar begins.
Continuing Education (CE) Information
This webinar will award 2.0 CE hours.
If you are a designated member of the American Society of Appraisers, CE credit will automatically be entered into your record ONLY if you participate in the live webinar. Please allow approximately 2 weeks post-webinar for ASA to notify participants via email regarding a certificate of completion.
Basil M. Karatzas
Karatzas Marine Advisors & Co.
Basil Karatzas is founder & CEO of Karatzas Marine Advisors & Co, offering marine surveys and appraisal for marine assets for lessors, lenders, investors and shipowners. Basil holds ASA-MTS and ABV-AICPA, is a Certified Marine Surveyor (CMS) and an leading expert on the maritime markets.
Upon completion of this webinar, attendees will be able to:
- Review shipping markets & identify their impact on supply chains
- Assess impact on marine asset values from supply chain disruptions
- Discuss impact of geo-political events on the domestic marine markets and explain impact on marine assets
- Outline the risks posed from elevated marine asset prices to lessors, lenders and investors.
Conceptually, the webinar will be divided into two thematic sessions:
1) Discuss the state of the marine industry, both domestically and internationally
2) Discuss marine asset values as these have been impacted by current market developments (i.e. high inflation, geo-political events, and supply chain disruptions)