BV201 Introduction to Business Valuation - Market Approach
Includes Multiple Live Events. The next is on 08/08/2023 at 10:00 AM (EDT)
You must log in to register
- Non-Member - $1,795
- Member - $1,195
Tuesday, August 8 - Friday, August 11, 2023
10:00am-6:00pm Eastern Standard Time
Class registration will close on Friday, August 4, 2023.
- Access to virtual zoom sessions will be accessible via education dashboard (login required)
- Electronic student materials*
- AM and PM beverage breaks (on course days)
- Electrical outlet for laptops/electronic devices
- Electronic student materials*
*All course materials included with your registration are PDF Download Only items made available to students prior to the start of the class and are not for resale or distribution. All downloadable materials are accessible via your education dashboard (login required). Once eMaterials have been posted for download, the class is no longer refundable.
- The Valuing a Business, 6th Edition Book is required for this class and can be purchased as an electronic pdf copy, or hard copy via the ASA Shop. If opting to order a hard copy, be sure to place order in advance to prevent shipping delays.
Class Format - Hybrid Offering!
ASA is offering the opportunity for students to attend this class in person or live via the internet as a remote participant. Virtual students share the same educational experience as the students in the classroom and can participate live just as if they were attending physically. If you plan to attend in-person, please do not purchase non-refundable airline tickets until you receive your official course confirmation from ASA. Also, be sure to review the Hybrid FAQ's before registering. In the event the majority decides to attend remotely, the offering will automatically be converted to virtual only and any in-person registrants will be notified.
(All Times are Eastern US)
- Day 1 - Tuesday, August 8, 10:00am - 6:00pm
- Day 2 - Wednesday, August 9, 10:00am - 6:00pm
- Day 3 - Thursday, August 10, 10:00am - 6:00pm
- Day 4 - Friday, August 11, 10:00am - 1:00pm (Final Exam)*
*The final exam will be administered and proctored online on the scheduled date and time. Exams are no longer provided in a written format and students MUST have a personal laptop or computer device to complete the secure online exam. For any exam questions or technical/logistic concerns, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. More detailed information will be provided before class concludes.
Please note: Partial credit will not be awarded for this offering. Students must participate in all the live session(s) virtually to complete the course and receive full credit following successful completion of the final exam. The virtual session(s) will not be recorded and/or made available after class.
Continuing Education (CE) Credit
Class provides 28.8 ASA CE Instructional Hours and 3 Exam Hours
NASBA and Continuing Professional Education (CPE) Credit
ASA is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have the final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website www.learningmarket.org.
CPE Credit: Up to thirty (30) CPE credits in Specialized Knowledge
Program Level: Fundamental
Delivery Method: Only group-live courses are approved for CPE
Advanced Preparation: None
Policies: ASA's Refund and Cancellation Policy and ASA's Complaint Resolution Policy
ASA-accredited members (AM, ASA, FASA) who would like to attend this class will receive a 50% discount. This discount will be automatically applied at checkout.
This class will be taught virtually by an instructor over the course of three days with an online exam scheduled on the fourth day. Students will meet virtually online and are required to synchronously participate in a combination of lecture, discussion and classroom exercises via an online platform. The final exam is multiple choice and securely administered online and remotely proctored. Additional final exam instructions are provided closer to the live class.
BV201 is the first course in the Principles of Valuation (POV) course series. This course will introduce practitioners to the steps necessary to complete a valuation assignment and will provide an overview of how to apply the Market Approach . More specifically, the course will provide a Guideline for Public Company and Merger and Acquisition Methods. Additionally, the course will review:
- Introduction to Business Valuation, Business Valuation Theory and a general overview of the Market Approach;
- Defining the Appraisal Assignment;
- Data Gathering;
- Revenue Ruling 59-60;
- Engagement Assignments;
- Data, Company and Industry Analysis;
- Economic and Financial Statement Analysis;
- GPC Steps 1, 3, 4, 7, 8 and 9 Covering Guideline Search Selection;
- Normalizing Financial Statements;
- Calculating Selecting Multiples;
- Adjusting and Applying Multiples and Reconciliation;
- The Merger and Acquisition Method; and
- Rules of Thumb and Other Market Methods.
Methods include lectures, discussions and individual/ group exercises and assignments.
Methods include lectures, discussions and individual/group exercises and assignments. Students are required to bring a laptop or mobile device to class as eHandouts will be provided throughout the course.
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Cite the basic approaches and theories to business valuation;
- Identify the relevant standards under which business valuations are completed;
- Define an appraisal assignment;
- Gather useful data necessary to complete the assignment;
- Analyze the impact of the general economic, political and industry environments on the subject company (and in turn, value);
- Complete a company analysis of qualitative and quantitative factors that impact value;
- Describe the premise of the Market Approach;
- Define both the Guideline Public Company Methods and the Merger and Acquisition Method;
- Assess the applicability of different Market Approach methods to a specific assignment;
- Compare and adjust guideline public company multiples;
- Apply the guideline public company and merger acquisition methods; and
- Reconcile to an indication of value.
All course materials included with you registration are PDF Download Only items made available to students prior to the start of the class and are not for resale or distribution. All downloadable materials are accessible via your education dashboard (login required). Once eMaterials have been posted for download, the class is no longer refundable.
eMaterials are provided electronically in PDF format and posted to the class within the education dashboard for all registrants to securely access prior to the start of class. Attendees should come to the class prepared with an electronic or printed copy of all eMaterials to use as a refence during class. PDF course materials are presented in color, are bookmarked, and comment enabled. When opting to print downloadable materials, it is recommended that settings be adjusted to print in black and white (or grayscale) and consider printing double-sided on recycled paper.
Certificate of Completion
Please allow 10 business days following successful completion of the course and final exam to receive a formal status notification and access to a certificate of completion. The certificate will be available to view and/or download via your education dashboard once all required components are completed.
Paul A. Baumann
CPA, ABV, CFF, ASA
Baumann Moreau Consulting Group
Paul A. Baumann is one of the founding members of this Florida-based firm with an international client base. He is a Certified Public Accountant in the state of Florida, an Accredited Business Valuator and Certified in Financial Forensics with the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. He is also an Accredited Senior Appraiser with the American Society of Appraisers. For more than fifteen years Paul has been recognized throughout the world as an expert in business valuation and commercial damages.
Paul is on faculty for the ASA, the AICPA and the China Appraisal Society; he consistently lectures throughout the world on business valuation and cost of capital theory. He is a frequent instructor for some of the largest accounting firms in the world such as Ernst & Young LLP in Moscow and Deloitte and Touche, LP in New York. Paul has been on the course development committee at the American Society of Appraisers for several years and has specifically written and taught courses to the IRS on acquisitions and appraisal methodologies. Paul also provides expert witness testimony throughout the United States for some of the largest law firms in the world such as DLA Piper, Holland & Knight, and Foley & Lardner.
ASA's Education Foundation recognizes students who choose to invest their time in appraisal studies by providing assistance to students demonstrating a financial need. Please visit the Educational Foundation's webpage for more information and to download an application.
Please do not purchase non-refundable airline tickets until you receive your official course confirmation from ASA. ASA will not be held responsible for charges incurred due to flight/hotel accommodations.
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dulles Airport 13341 Woodland Park Rd, Herndon, VA, 20171 (703) 464-0200
All-suite hotel located approximately 4 miles from Dulles International Airport
Dulles International Airport (IAD)
Onsite students will meet at ASA's Herndon office located at 2121 Cooperative Way, Herndon, VA, 20170. There are various dining options nearby, and also a deli in the building that is open 7:00am-3:00pm ET
|Access Date||Quiz Result||Score||Actions|